An unusually low calorie version, this dish has become a must at our Thanksgiving table. We have made it also to accompany pork roasts, served with a salad. Delicious!
Sweet Potato Soufflé
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (we calculate about 1 big potato to a cup)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (we use Splenda instead)
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons light butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 8-oz can crushed pineapple – drained
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray a soufflé or casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on the lowest setting, beat together the sweet potatoes and sugar.
- Add egg whites, milk, cornstarch, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat until fluffy and lump-free.
- Pour into prepared dish.
- In a small microwave bowl, combine the brown sugar and butter.
- Microwave on high, until melted, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the flour and pineapple.
- Drizzle the topping over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until bubbly and golden. Serve immediately.