Through the years, we have altered this recipe to its present state adding the comino, salt and garlic. It is important to let the turkey marinate in this flavors, at least overnight.
Orange and Herb Seasoned Roasted Turkey
- 1 12-pound fresh turkey
- 1 navel orange, very thinly sliced crosswise
- Fresh herbs of your choice (I use oregano and thyme)
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons comino
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Remove giblets and neck bone from turkey.
- Rinse turkey, inside and out, with cold water.
- With your hands, gently loosen the skin over the turkey’s breast by sliding your fingers between the skin and the flesh. Don’t poke a hole through the skin.
- Mix salt, garlic and comino, and rub the bird thoroughly with this mixture, under the skin where possible, and in all cavities.
- Carefully place orange slices over the breast (under the skin), then sprigs of herbs.
- Place remaining orange and a few herb springs inside turkey cavity, as well as on legs, thighs, wings, pretty much everywhere.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Rub turkey with vegetable oil and place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered, at 325F for about 3 hours, or until a thermometer inserted into the meaty part of the thigh registers 180 degrees.
- Brush with glaze during last 45 minutes of cooking and baste turkey with drippings twice after that if desired.
To make glaze
- Combine vinegar, honey and butter in small saucepan and stir over low heat until all is combined.