Helene Gelety was in charge of the mashed potatoes for our shared Thanksgiving celebrations for many years. This is not Mrs. G’s recipe, which will probably go with her to the grave, but a good substitute we have prepared in other occasions.
- 2 kg potatoes
- Water, salt
- 3 – 4 dl milk
- White pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 cup shredded aged cheese (Swedish Västerbotten or Swiss Emmentaler are good)
- Peel potatoes and cut them in smaller pieces.
- Cook them in lightly salted water, covered, for about 10 minutes. Pour out the water.
- Mash the potatoes in the pot.
- Pour in the milk, preferably warm, a little at a time.
- Mix the purée so that it is airy, with a fork or an electric mixer.
- Add the salt, pepper and cardamom to taste.
- Add the cheese of your choice and butter, and mix well.